Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Helen Vanni RIP

During my opera - learning years at the Old Met I heard and saw Helen Vanni as Berta 1962, Preziosilla 1961, Suzuki 1960, Magdalene 1962, Cherubino 1961, a Genie in Flute 1958. Each time I learned what it meant to perform beautifully, with dignity. Occasionally  we met and shared a few words. She was always gracious and would remember me from a previous chat. These were pre-camera days.   All artists lead busy lives. I never expected to be reembered.  I had not known that she passed away, March 5, 2023, until I saw her obituary in the coming June Opera News.  A flood of feelings came back.  I remember when she performed at New York City Opera, 1969. By then I was working as a professional. This was thrilling, someone who had meant so much.  Now I could memorialize her richness on stage. These are split seconds in time probably forgotten by most.  CAPRICCIO, September 25, 1969 as the Countess. In the first image WilliamMetcalf, Olivier, has his back to camera.  Four images from that performance, shot from wings with old Leica, film.
 



NOZZE DI FIGARO, the Countess, April 16, 1969, also live performance.

And from September 20, 1969.

Over the years our paths would cross for a few minutes. I treasure all those happy memories.

My heartfelt condolences to all the friends, family, colleagues.  

    RIP

No comments: