Friday, June 30, 2023

Ken Riegel RIP

Sadly Ken Riegel passed away on June 28th. He was in my lens from 1969-1999. These are from the New York City Opera days.   I thought that Pedrillo in "Abduction from the Seraglio" 1969 was the first. He's with John Stewart as Belmonte.
 
I was wrong. Ken's debut was in "L'Heure Espagnol" also in 1969 as Gonzalve. Karan Armstrong was Conception.


"Traviata" as Alfredo  1972 with Patricia Brooks as Violetta.

"Maria Stuarda" as Roberto 1972 with Beverly Sills in the title role.

The Sleep Walker in "Louise" 1971.

I saved the funniest for last. "The Young Lord" by Henze was premiered NYC Opera in 1973. Ken was  Lord Barrat. He was an ape.  The contact sheets for this opera were loaned to someone years ago and never returned. I had to study the films to find pictures. I had forgotten these posed images in dressing room. Treasures.   Sir Rudolf Bing was Sir Elgar.  I do  not remember the story of this opera. I'm sure it's online.

To be continued with Met Opera roles.

Dear Ken, thanks for the fun.   RIP

No comments: