Monday, March 11, 2024

Opera "Clocks", final post

Back to Falstaff,  Act II, scene 1, Mistress Quickly comes to invite Falstaff to visit Alice Ford, "Dalle due alle tre". That's repeated, between two and three. Usually there is sign language that lasts only about two seconds. In looking through every Falstaff I ever shot I only found four images showing the hand sign.  The above and below are  Fiorenza Cossoto with Giuseppe Taddei in 1985. I'm thrilled to have these images as I adored both artists.
 

Also between 2 and 3-  from 1975, Cornell MacNeil and Fedora Barbieri. Both delicious artists.
From the Juilliard production of Falstaff, Ronald Hedlung as Falstff and Patricia Dekert as Quickly. This production was staged by the late great Tito Gobbi who was a superb Falstaff.  I was thrilled watching him at work with the students.
BORIS,  the apartment scene, James Morris is Boris 2004. He is haunted, feeling guilty, clock hands going around. The orchestra is playing sinister clock-like beats. Boris suffers a seizure, hallucinates into madness.  I helped this along by cloning the clocks.

Finally, absolutely opera "clock work", ARIADNE AUF NAXOS, Susan Graham as the young Composer who has written a serious opera. The Major Domo announces, "Punkt neun Uhr Feurwerks."  The serious opera and the comedie del arte will be performed "gleichzeitig", the two works together. Horrors.  9p.m. mish mash.   Fireworks courtesy of a Macy's display over the Hudson River , shot from   my window.


THat's it for now, or until I remember another operatic time moment.

No comments: